Wrap the Green Flag Around Me

This song randomly came on my iPod this morning (on Australia day of all days), I recognized the distinctive voice of the singer instantly even through a few walls and rooms away..the one and only Luke Kelly. If ever a song summed up the current state of Ireland at the moment this is it!

Last night for the 1st time I realised as much as I've been trying to Ignore it there now is no getting away from it Perth is becoming flooded with Irish (as is the rest of Oz).

And it's not just Oz that's getting flooded to quote a friend of mine on Facebook the other day - 'Yeah man, it's getting the same here (Canada), there's a serious amount of Irish landing in here now. I know a girl that works with SWAP (the USIT of Canada), they usually register 15 people a week, there now have up to 200 Irish people a week! It's fucking nuts!!"

It's more than sad what has happened Ireland, my mother summed it up perfectly in an e-mail she sent this morning - "The Emerald Isle is in a shambles Brian Cowen has resigned, so there is to be a general election on the 25th of February, I don't know if any party will sort out the mess. They reckon 1,000 people will emigrate this year between the ages of 25 and 45, it's awful, but that's the situation now."

Take it away Luke....



Dia leat hÉireann lá amháin go mbainfidh tú a ghnóthú

Comments

Popular Posts