The glamourous life of the backpacker..Stop crying your heart out




- Crowded kitchens
- Frustrating nights out
- Constant C.V. emails with no replies,
- Constant promises of ring backs from people that couldn't give a s**t about you
- Lack of work/money
- Slight bouts of depression
- Waxy mattresses
- Four years of college counting for nothing
- Being fed up/bored
- No journalism jobs on the horizon
- Binge drinking and bad food
- Fake bravado,
- Flouting bodies,
- Fakness/all about the image,
- No money
- Overdrawn bank accounts
- Staring foreigners
- No space to yourself
- Petty rows and fallings out
- Nations living up to their collective stereotypes - cocky Brits, ignorant Ozzies, pompous French, drunken boorish Irish, loud Americans/Canadians

- Loud phone calls in the middle of the night.

You've guessed it it's just been one of those days when all the toys have been thrown out of the pram. When things are going wrong in the life of a backpacker there usually going horribly wrong, today just seems to be one of those days. The list above is just some of the things that a currently pissing me off, and people that know me know it doesn't take a lot to piss me off.

Wandering around Darwin all morning with my head up my arse looking for a recruitment agency that in turn just told me to "send in your C.V. and we'll see what we can do" (like I've never heard that line before!), probably more than anything propelled me to write/rant this blog entry.

Going into another agency, and before we even opened our mouths, being told "We've no work" even after we kindly informed the woman behind the counter we had been sent there by a reference. Which upon hearing this gem of information was met with the response "Oh did she? good on her", then she continued on to making fun of how we said lucky street.

If ever there is a greater insult on god's green earth that an Australian taking the piss out of any other nation's accents, seeing as they themselves, sound like a bunch of squawking dying crows anytime they open their mouths.

Anyway rant over, and to be honest it's just one of those days when your feeling sorry for yourself...even though there's fuck all wrong with you. Did I mention the constant stream of girls in bikinis and the 31 degrees + weather every day in Darwin?, plus sharing a room with easily 3 of the most gorgeous/soundest girls you've ever seen?..must have slipped my mind :-)

To quote Oasis - "You'll never change what's been and gone."

P.S.: To say Alex Turner is a lyrical genius is stating the absolute obvious. Over the past week or two I've been mesmerized by his lyrics especially on 'Suck It and See' and the acoustic versions of the Monkey's old songs. How about this? from 'Reckless Serenade' -

"Called up to listen to the voice of reason / And got the answering machine, I left my message but did he fuck get back to me. And now I'm stuck still and wondering how it's meant to be."

Comments

Popular Posts