Observations from our third/fourth (working) year in Saudi Arabia

June marked the end of our fourth (working) year in Saudi Arabia. So what happened in our third/fourth year living a working in Saudi? Not a lot to be honest. It was a heads-down-work-and-study (mainly, my wife)-deal for our last two years there. With, of course, some nice trips in-between.

I have noticed I'm using a lot more 'Americanisms' in my everyday speech and more worryingly in my writing. Like last year (and the year before) not much has changed from previous observations and as before, we became more settled/unsettled in KSA as time wore on. So, onto the observations part:
  • In my opinion, Saudi has two seasons. The hot season and the body-melting-soul-crushingly-hot season.
  • People that live in 'gated' communities fall into two categories—bearable and unbearable.
  • Saudi men (usually the younger ones) are usually extremely well groomed and seem to use lasers to define their perfectly manicured facial hair.
  • Yes, I still strongly dislike Jeddah International Airport. However, they are in the process of renovating it, Masha'Allah. It just a shame I might not get to experience the new one.
  • (Like everywhere else) Passing the buck' happens a lot over here.
  • Like Greeks, Saudi men like to shout at each other in conversations. And like Greeks, just because they are shouting doesn't mean they are fighting. 
  • People can get grumpy during Ramadan.
  • The traffic in Jeddah after the final pray that signals Ifthar is pure bedlam.
  • Nobody likes Qatar.
  • Road rules aren't generally adhered to.
  • Getting a final departure police check in a rural town is great craic. 
  • Watching Saudis rug up during their 'winters' is hilarious. During their 'winter' mornings, some of the security guards at our old place of employment used to wear winter jackets that wouldn't have looked out of place in Siberia.
  • The Muslim countries all have hilarious, and some shocking, stereotypes about each other.
  • Yemenis make the best black tea in the world (take a bow, Al-Kbous). 
  • A little bit of Arabic is a godsend. The locals appreciate when you attempt it.
  • The Saudi soil can grow banana trees in minutes.
  • You'll never be short of a tissue box in Saudi Arabia. They are omnipresent in most settings.
  • The words 'milk' and 'idiot' are quite similar in Arabic.
In summary, it's fair to say, over our last two years in Saudi we entered into a routine. My wife studied studiously for her Master's in Education. While I learned to swim (somewhat successfully). We both worked hard. When we were in Saudi, it felt like our home. When we weren't there, it did not feel anything like our home.

Having been out of the place a few months, I can say (with my hand on my heart) that I met some of the most genuine people I have ever encountered (mainly Saudis and other Arabs) during my time there. I also met some of the most loquacious and fake people (mainly fellow expats) that I have ever encountered in my life. I always feel kind of like a cheat when I say our time in Saudi because we didn't really live 'out in Saudi'. We lived in a compound or as some would say (golden) handcuffed to a gilded cage. A compound that resembled suburbian America. Some days were good and some days were bad.

However, it's an experience we'll always rember. I personally, will remember the kindness of my Saudi mates and the readiness to engage in banter. I will remember all that they taught me about their culture and Islam (the parts you don't hear about in the Western media). I'll remember the kindness of the locals when we visited different parts of the country. A cup of tea and some dates were never far away whenever the 'hawadga' appeared. I'll never forget how the Saudis and fellow Arabs would light up when you spoke a bit of Arabic. You could physically see the joy and mirth spreading across their faces' when you attempted some Arabic.

All in all, we have fond memories of Saudi and some good stories to tell the kids and grandkids in the future. Shukran Jazilan, Saudi Arabia.

Lunchtime at Al Baik.

Al Baik, you will be missed!

Serious study time.

Mrs. Murphy enjoying a Mocktail by the shores of the Red Sea.

Rubbish attempt at a selfie while travelling (first class) to Riyadh.

One of the soundest Saudis I've had the pleasure of meeting.

The old house in Saudi. Again, it will be missed!


Comments

Popular Posts