I (don't) come from a Land Down Under


Aussies in their natural habitat.

This news article made me chuckle. It reminded me of all the good things I love about my second home. I mean, how can you not love a story of a 12-year-old larrikin Aussie boy getting 1,330 kilometres into an attempt to drive the width of that great continent from his home in New South Wales to Western Australia.

I was inspired to write this post by a mix of thingsthe above articlespeaking to my relos (relations) last weekend; ANZAC Day 2017; thoughts of being in Bright watching the ANZAC Day footy between the Bombers and Collingwood; Greek Easter just passed; lusting for a pot and a parma; the recent visa changes; listening to a mix of AC/DC, Cold Chisel, Midnight Oil and Men At Work; reading about some adventurous Aussie cyclists; dreaming of walking the hills of Bright this Christmas and being with my extended Greek-Australian family; the list goes on.

More importantly, I realised I had never truly written a post about my adopted home. The country, and continent that is extremely dear to my heart. Luckily enough, I've managed to visit all six of its statesplus the ACT and NTand their capital cities since first arriving there in October 2010.

However, I reckon I've only seen about 10% of the country. I mean the place is beyond massive, and I feel you could dedicate years of your life travelling itand still not see it all.

For me, what I miss most about Oz is the laid-back feel of the placelike everything though, that chilled way of dealing with life (the no worries, no dramas, she'll be right mate-mantra) is slowly changing. I also enjoy how begrudgery isn't part of the national psyche, neither is complaining or whining. After all, no-one enjoys a 'whinging pom'.

Beautiful Bright.
When I worked on the building sites and roadways of Australia, I enjoyed the upfront honesty of my workmates, I loved how they called a spade a spade and had no time for shysters, slackers or bullshitters. I also enjoyed the feeling that you were always given a fair go to prove your worth in any given situation.

Again for me, it feels like the Australian government is obsessed with aping America and Britain and their respective foreign policies. Obviously, 'aping' Britain is to be expected, what with them still being in the Commonwealth and having Ol' Lizzy as their head of state.

(On the whole Commonwealth thingfor such a proud and independent people, I cannot fathom how they haven't voted to become a republicfree of the old antiquated laws and monarchy, but that rant is for another day. )  

"Number one is to find some friends to say "You're doing well
After all this time you boys look just the same"
Number two is the happy hour at one of two hotels
Settle in to play "Do you remember so and so?"
Number three is never say her name." - Flame Trees, Cold Chisel.


I also get upset when Aussies don't 'big-up' their country's natural beauty and splendour. I've met plenty of Aussies who would rather go to Bali, Southeast Asia, the Americas or Europe before they would visit the other side of their vast land. Their attitude breaks my heart, but at the end of the day, it's to be expected. I mean, what local sees the beauty and uniqueness of their homeland through the eyes of a foreigner?

NSW road trip

I love visiting the quaint old country towns with their old shop fronts and remnants of a time sadly passed and reading the stories of the local legends. I also enjoy hearing all the stories of how different ethnicities and cultures came to Australia and helped make the land their own through hard yakka (work) and sheer determination. Not to mention, the fascinating Aboriginal culture that supersedes any European civilisation on the land.

I have so many memories and stories from my time in Australia that they could fill a book (and hopefully one day will). There's a lot of stuff that's not fit for retelling. I suffered many a hazy head, morning and night under the Southern Cross.

Neighbourhood kangaroos

Having said that, here are some of my highlights, living with a bunch of African students in Perth; countless building site gigs and characters; living with 12 other Irish men in a two-storey house in Brisbane; driving from Brisbane to Darwin, via the outback, in 6 days, in a Hiace van; being part of a landscaping crew working at a newly constructed female prison in rural Queensland; living in a caravan in Gatton during wintertime; working 12 hour shifts cleaning Iron ore from boat decks (in the dead of night) in Darwin harbour; working as a waiter for Ladies' Day at the Darwin Races; travelling from Perth to Melbourne by train; meeting my future wife at a music festival in Melbourne; being 'adopted' by Greek-Australian family; living with my wife's grandparents in rural Victoria; marrying my best friend; you get the point.

Southbank, Melbourne
My negatives memories or encounters with Australia are few and far between (I was once called a f****** Irish wanker by a drunken local in Melbourne and a shamrock c*** by another local in Darwin). The unstable weather patterns in Melbourne can be annoying, oh, and the various hoops you must jump through to become an Australian citizen are quite tiresome. Plus, I will never understand how a programme like "The Block" can continue to be so popular.

I'm also proud of the role that my fellow Irishmen and women played, and to continue to play, in Australia's story. I'm looking forward to the day I can claim to be a 'half-Aussie'.

Footy (AFL) at "The G" (The MCG - Melbourne Cricket Ground).

Needless to saythis post has no rhyme or reason, it means nothing to anyonebut it's my attempt at a love letter to my second home.

To land of fair dinkum's, ocker Aussies, sheilas, footy, singlets, thongs, budgie smugglers, good blokes, cartons of piss, flaming galahs, stubbies, wallabies, flame trees, stunning natural beauty, rainforests, desert plains, skips and stars upside down...Australia, I salute you.

Maybe you'd just prefer a vegemite sandwich?



Comments

Popular Posts