My Top Albums: Part 2 1-5

1. Master Of Puppets - Metallica



Sweet Jesus whatever about Definitely Maybe, this album & band defines me, anyone that knows me well enough, should know this album should go down with me when I go:-). Ever since I've discovered Puppets & Metallica, I've never looked back. The hairs on my neck still stand up every time I hear the intro to Master Of Puppets. Metallica was (still are) streets ahead of their heavy metal peers, musically and lyrically.

From 1-8, this is the very essence of what makes Metallica great in the 1st place. The trashing raging opener & closer, of Battery and Damage Inc., the epic title track, the haunting The Thing That Should Not Be, the 'ballad' (Welcome Home) Sanitarium, Orion the (truly) epic late Cliff Burton inspired instrumental showpiece. The battle cries against religious & military leaders, that is Disposable Heros & Leper Messiah.

I doubt the bunch of pissheads that recorded this back in 1985, would have imagined the impact this record would have for generations to come. Constantly voted one of the top Heavy Metal albums of all time, it's easy to see why, flawless..regardless of musical genre this album is a stonewall classic. Take a bow Messrs Hetfield, Ulrich, Burton (RIP), Hammett.

Track Picks: Battery, Master Of Puppets, The Thing That Should Not Be, (Welcome Home) Sanitarium, Disposable Heros, Leper Messiah, Orion, Damage Inc.

2. Definitely Maybe - Oasis





I can't fucking describe how much I love this album (as the boys in Boston will probably testify). It reminds me so much of growing up in the 90's, one of the albums of my generation. I remember idolizing the Gallagher brothers, loving their f**k off, larger than life attitude (still do). But the boys had the tunes to back up the bravado and then some, I can listen to this album every day for the rest of my life, and still not get sick of it. 'Tonight I'm a rock n' roll star'...roll on Slane baby, Live Forever mannnn.

My Track Picks: Rock "N" Roll Star, Live Forever, Cigarettes & Alcohol.


3. Appetite For Destruction - Guns 'N' Roses





Welcome to the jungle baby your gonna dieeeeeeeee!!...,ah the now immortal words W. Axl Rose, it's a jungle I'd gladly die in. An album full of sex, drugs, booze, cheap women & rock 'n' roll, thank god for Appetite, it saved us from the horrors that were glam metal, it's a primal snarling motherfucker of an album. Not a weak track on it for me, like the two albums in front of it, one I'll never tire listening to. This was Guns at their finest before Mr. Rose's megalomaniac ego took over the band.

My Track Picks - Welcome To The Jungle, It's So Easy, Paradise City


4. Led Zeppelin II - Led Zeppelin


I plumped for picking II as my finest Zeppelin record, out of their classic 1st four albums, the only reason being it's the only one I own (apart from Remasters & the BBC recordings). Featuring a bunch of bona fide classic from Page, Plant and Co. From the opening hard rock boogie of Whole Lotta Love, through to the touching Thank You, the John Bonham showcase Moby Dick, to the trippy blues rock finisher of Bring It On Home. Classic Rock delivered by the Gods

My Track Picks: Whole Lotta Love, What Is And What Should Never Be, Living Loving Maid (She's Only A Woman)


5. The Marshall Mathers L.P. - Eminem


To quote allmusic.com; 'a fairly brilliant expansion of his debut, turning his spare, menacing hip-hop into a hyper-surreal, wittily disturbing thrill ride.' Em's finest hour in my eyes, his lyrics and rhymes are untouchable. He's at his vitrol spitting best, pissed at the world, his wife, his mother, his record label, fellow rappers. It's like an audio diary of the characters & demons running around inside his head. One of the very 1st albums i ever brought, and one i'll alaways love.

My Track Picks: The Way I Am, Marshall Mathers, Criminal



Comments

Popular Posts